Evangelicals founded their church in Liptovský Ján already in the middle of the 16th century. Originally, they used a Gothic church, which was later taken over by the Evangelicals and today serves as a Roman Catholic church. The church choir was restored again during the Josephine reforms after the issue of the Patent of Tolerance by Emperor Joseph II.
The classicist church was built on the land where services of God under the open sky were held, later in the house of landowner Michal Sentiváni. After the declaration of the Patent of Tolerance, they laid the foundation stone of the church in 1783, which they completed in 1785.
In 1907, a fire spread and destroyed the original tolerance church on this site. In 1909, it was restored according to the projects of Juraj Kossuth, a builder from Poprad, who used morphological elements of the Neo-Gothic style during the restoration. They also restored the pillar altar from 1902 with the image of the Crucified Christ in the Neo-Gothic style. The hall space of the church is vaulted with two fields of Czech bread and is filled with concrete emporiums. A neo-Gothic tower with a spire-shaped roof was built in front of the church. The altar and pulpit, the work of St. John’s carpenter Andrej Melichar, are a copy of the altar and pulpit from the church in Arad, Romania.
On the building of the evangelical parsonage, which is adjacent to the church, there are two commemorative plaques commemorating the work of pastors in the church choir: the father of the Štúrov poet Janek Kalinčiak, Ján Kalinčiak Sr., and also Ján Čajak.