Home Culture & history

Museum was founded in 1912 by a group of enthusiasts led by Arthur and Julius Kűrthi grouped into Liptov Museum Society. The original seat of the museum was in an old vicarage from the 15th century, where the mausoleum of Andrej Hlinka is situated now. Since 1937, the museum resides in a representative building built in 1930s, and designed by a significant architect from Ružomberok, Wojciech Donner (1901-1945). The town of Ružomberok is a patron of this new museum building, one of the first purpose-built buildings of its kind in Slovakia. Building was conducted by a local builder Július Záchenský.

Museum exhibitions offer a comprehensive overview of animate and inanimate nature of the region Liptov, important archaeological findings and sites, history of the region Liptov dated from ancient times to present times, and an opportunity to enjoy the jewels of local art-historical monuments exhibited in the Gallery of Sacred Art and Exposure of Štefan Šovánka. Special attention is devoted to the history of paper production in Slovakia and a personality of Andrej Hlinka. The offer also includes a number of cultural and educational events, exhibition projects, including national and international shows of art photography, traditionally associated with the creative background of authors in Ružomberok, and with the institution of Liptov Museum. The seat of the Liptov Museum in Ružomberok holds a newly opened exhibition called Poklady spod Likavy (The treasure from under Likava), which displays the collection of 1868 silver denarii and 2 golden ducats.

Liptovské múzeum

Permanent exhibitions:

Liptov museum in Ružomberok
  • guilds and crafts of the Liptov region
  • the history and paper production
  • archaeology and many more
Museum of Liptov village in Pribylina

There is an exposition of housing and lifestyles of different social classes of the population in Liptov in the past.

More information here.

Black Eagle Liptovský Mikuláš

Permanent exhibitions of hunting, fishing and culture in Liptov.

More information here.

Ethnographic Museum in Liptovsky Hradok

People‘s blueprint in Liptov, sheep-keeping, history of the town Liptovsky Hradok, Gallery of bobbin lace Farmer‘s house in Vlkolinec – Exhibition of traditional housing and way of life.

More information here.

Peasant house and garden Vlkolínec

Exhibition of traditional housing and way of life

More information here.

Mining exposition Maša – Liptovský Hrádok

Weight point and miner‘s knocker Masa Liptovsky Hradok – Traditions of upper Liptov mining and metallurgy

More information here.

Gothic church of All Saints Ludrová

Nook – Country colonization church, built in the last third of the 13th century in the space between Ruzomberok and Liptovská Štiavnica.

More information here.

Likava Castle

The Castle gradually decayed in ruins. After a thorough reconstruction in recent year the tower Hunyadyho veža was opened to public. It contains the exhibition of the Castle history.

More information here.

Miners’ House Vyšná Boca

Exposure to traditional ways of life and living mining families in the house with the original original equipment, which for museum purposes donated last owner Daniel Böhmer.

More information here.

Archaeological museum Havránok

Havránok is among the most important archaeological sites in Slovakia. It demonstrates the presence of Celts in region Liptov in time between the 4th and 1st century BC.

More information here.

Liptovský Ján – a village of thermal springs and squire mansions. Get a glimpse into the history of the village on period postcards from the 20s and 30s or get to know important personalities from the village and their field of activity. In addition, the exposition also highlights important events of the village, but also the long-term activity of the post office, sports and school in the village.

Liptovský Ján in Time exposition is a new permanent exhibition, which is located in the premises of the Cultural House in Liptovský Ján. It is opened all year round according to the opening hours of the information and cultural centre.

The exposition is divided into three parts. The first part is dedicated to the history of the village Liptovský Ján. The main part consists of the Event Calendar from the first written mention to the present, history of the post office together with period postcards, history of sports in the village as well as primary school. The second part focuses on the important personalities from the village named Čajakovci, the director Vlado Balc, Professor Stanislav and others. The third part is called Liptovský Ján through the eyes of the artists – paintings of the village by various artists who visited or came from the village and were enchanted by its beauties. They decided to immortalize them in their works.

Historical postcards, which relate to Liptovský Ján and the valley Jánská dolina, are also interesting. In the exposition, the visitors will see period objects related to the anniversaries of the village and its personalities.

The exposition is without the guide.

The attractive exhibition is dedicated to the works of an artist Martin Sabaka, who created unusual sculptures and miniatures from discarded materials found at the waste damps. The main idea of the exposition is creativity awakening, art creation and mutual inspiration. The exhibition includes creative workshops for the visitors, regardless the age. They can enjoy and create their own art works from waste and building materials.

The museum exposition Tatrín and Requests of the Slovak Nation also reminds contemporaries of meetings of leading personalities of Štúr`s movement with the local priest Michal Miloslav Hodža.

The authentic premises of the old evangelical rectory evoke the atmosphere of the 1840s when the Tatrín association was founded and the Requests of the Slovak Nation were written here. The exhibition is furnished with period furniture, there are books published by the Tatrín association, of historical documents, minute-books, photographs and original portraits of national figures by the academic painter Janko Alexy. Its unique part is also Hodžova study, where table with Bible and cross and a huge library filled with rare books dominates.

Take a look at historical objects of daily use and handicraft tools from the inhabitants of Liptovský Ján, or meet the most important personalities from the Szentivanyi family and their manor houses. In addition, the exhibitions also point to the current natural beauties of the valley of Jánska Dolina, its springs and caves.

The exhibition about the Sentivani family is a permanent exhibition located on the premises of the Liptovský Ján Cultural Center. It is open all year round according to the opening hours of the cultural centre.

The exhibition is divided into three parts. The first part is dedicated to the origin of the village Liptovský Ján, the second part focuses on the most important personalities of the Sentivani family and the third part points to the current natural beauty of the Jánská valley– springs and caves. Interesting are also the myths that are connected with Jánská valley. In the exhibition, visitors will see period costumes as well as objects that have been preserved in the mansions of the Sentiviani family.

The exhibition is unaccompanied.

Please note that this exhibition is only in the Slovak language. Translate the text on information boards using the text translator from photos. Download the Google translate Android or iOS app, click on Camera button and take a picture of the info board.

Get to know the city of Liptovský Mikuláš with a tourist guide to the greatest attractions, interesting things from history, the present and the life of prominent personalities. City tour combined with photographing impressive landmarks and details of the historic center.

Picnic in a gallery garden

The gallery garden offers a peaceful atmosphere for families with children, romantic couples, teenagers and seniors. The garden also includes children’s playground and in the summer it is the scene of some events of Mikuláš Summer.

We invite you to spend relaxing time in nature in the middle of the town and at the same time enjoy homemade goodies prepared for you by local people. They will also lend you a picnic blanket and sitting with family or friends can begin.

HOW TO DO IT?

  1. Buy a package of selected foods from fresh ingredients for 19 €.
  2. For a deposit of 50 €, rent a blanket and picnic basket, in which they will pack these goodies with a waiting time of about 15 minutes.
  3. Head to the gallery garden and enjoy a relaxing picnic.
  4. Take the picnic basket and blanket to the place where you borrowed them and they will refund your entire deposit.

* In each basket, a small surprise awaits your children in the form of crayons and a Santa paper hat, which is also a coloring book.*

more information >>>

read more hide

WITH A GUIDE | Liptovský Mikuláš | Mesto pre všetkých (mikulas.sk)

INFORMATION CENTRE ARRANGES:

Visit the e-shop of the INFORMATION CENTER and get maps, tourist guides, book publications and souvenirs from Liptovský Mikuláš and the Liptov region.

Exposition of the traditional way of life and living of a mining family in a house with the original equipment. It was donated for museum purposes by the last owner, Daniel Böhmer. The mining house has a five-room layout with the original heating system. The entrance area functions as a communication area and also served to prepare food. The front room was only an occasional living room. In the backroom, which in the past was used for sleeping and daily life, there is an exhibition on the history of mining in the vicinity of Vyšná Boca. There are two storerooms in the house, one serves for occasional sleeping and storage of duvets and clothes, the second one was used to store household utensils and food. In the farm building, the “stable”, which is part of the farm, there is an exhibition of cattle, sheep and meadow farming, which has characteristic features in Bocianská valley and after the suppression of mining activities became one of the main jobs of the local population.

In the summer, demonstrations of traditional forms of hay transport “Bocké batohy” and occasional events dedicated to the mining traditions of the Bocianská valley are being held. Part of the Mining Route – a cognitive and experiential product from the portfolio of the Liptov Museum in Ružomberok. National cultural monument.

Liptov Museum and its expositions

Liptov Museum Ružomberok – geology, palaeontology and botany, zoology, Feudalism, Guilds and crafts in Liptov, Ethnography, Gallery of Sacred Art of Liptov, Life and work of Andrej Hlinka, History of paper production, From the history of Ružomberok.

Museum of the Liptov village in Pribylina – exposition of housing and way of life of various social and social strata of the population of Liptov in the past.

Black Eagle Museum Liptovský Mikuláš – From the history of hunting and fishing in Liptov.

Ethnographic Museum Liptovský Hrádok – Exposition of sheepfolds and a gallery of folk art, Folk blueprint in Liptov, Gallery of bobbin lace. Comorian Office of the Likavian-Hrádok Estate, Historic Salt Road, From the History of Liptovský Hrádok.

Farmer’s house and yard Vlkolínec – Exposition of traditional housing and way of life.

Exposition of mining Maša – Liptovský Hrádok – Traditions of Hornoliptov mining and metallurgy.

Church of All Saints Ludrová – Rural colonization church, built in the last third of the 13th century in the area between Ružomberok and Liptovská Štiavnica.

Likava Castle – Its construction began due to the guarding of the passage through Váh and an important trade route that led from Považie to Orava and further to Poland.

Archaeological Museum Liptovská Mara – Havránok – one of the most important archaeological sites in Slovakia.

The most interesting facts from the rich almost 740-year history of Liptovský Mikuláš town are presented by the Janko Kráľ town Museum. The main exhibition of Liptovský Mikuláš history chapter , Jánošík’s Torture Chamber and the Courtroom are hosted by the ancient premises of the first landlord house and the Strauss House in the historic centre. Take a look into the room of the romantic poet Janko Kráľ and the life of the world-famous inventor Aurel Stodola, who was respected by Einstein himself! Meet another famous native citizen of Liptovský Mikuláš – Eduard Penkal, inventor of the first mechanical pen. Get to know the leading local families and tannery that made Liptovský Mikuláš famous far beyond the borders of the country. You will surely be enchanted by the museum’s beautiful historical library with 4500 rare titles.

The building that houses the Janko Kral Museum is one of the most distinctive buildings of the square in the town of Liptovský Mikuláš. It has several names – the County House (Stoličný House), the Illešházy Manor House and the Seliga’s House. It features a triple arch that is unusual for the town and stands out from the rest of the buildings on the square’s western side.

The Seliga’s House as well as the adjacent Strauss’s House feature one of the Janko Kráľ Museum’s permanent exhibitions called Chapters from the History of the Town of Liptovský Mikuláš. It showcases the town’s history from the earliest era until the end of WWII, and includes a commerative room of Romanticist poet and the town’s native Janko Kráľ.
The building’s subterranean areas feature the Liptovský Mikuláš Torture Chamber that displays the torture and interrogation of legendary outlaw and folk hero Juraj Jánošík on the second day of his court process. He robbed the rich and gave to the poor. You can see torture instruments used at court interrogation in 18th century.

The other permanent exhibitions of the Janko Kráľ Museum are located in the historical evangelical parish house on Tranovského Street (Tatrín and the Petitions of the Slovak Nation), and in the house of Rázus brothers on Vrbického Street (Rázus’s House).

The museum also administers the Jewish Synagogue on Hollého Street that is available for the public in summer.

Take a look at historical objects of daily use and handicraft tools from the inhabitants of Liptovský Ján and explore the current natural beauties of the valley of Jánska Dolina, its springs and caves.

Please note that this exhibition is only in the Slovak language. Translate the text on information boards using the text translator from photos. Download the Google translate Android or iOS app, click on Camera button and take a picture of the info board.

Experience the world premiere below the Tatras! You can find a new three – screen 3D. Golden Apple Cinema in 4K quality with the capacity of 470 spectators in the shopping centre Liptov RGB (TESCO zone).



Biely Potok is the salient point for the community of Vlkolínec – a monument reserve of folk architecture. This extraordinary and remarkable oasis of folk architecture was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1993.

The community was first referred to in 1461. Its unique compound of original folk buildings remaineduntouched by modern construction. Based in comparative study of ICOMOS (International Council for Monuments and Settlements) it was classified as the best-reserved settlement of this time within the Carpathian Arch. Originally it was the settlement of loggers, shepherds and farmers.

Vlkolínec is a typical example of a two-line street pattern with long yards. In its centre, the community divides into a street leading to the Baroque-Classicist Roman-Catholic church of the Virgin Marys Visitation of 1875 and a street heading along a steeper terrain to the foothills of the Sidorovo Mountain (1,099 m).

At the division of the streets the two most frequently photographed objects stand – alog two-storey belfry from 1770 on a stone stand and a log well from 1860. Among the protected buildings in the community are 45 log houses with farmyards from the 18th century. The interesting thing is that it was painted in blue, rose and white paints twice a year.

A typical example of a house in Vlkolínec is the farmers’ house – a detached outdoor part of the expositions of the Liptov Museum. The house was built in 1886 and opened to public in 1991. Its well-preserved original interior and furniture provide a true picture of the way of life of its ancient inhabitants from the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. The remaining protected objects in the monument reserve are still inhabited, its population amounts to 30 and this is the reason why visitors can see only the exterior of houses.

Vlkolínec is included in the National Park of Veľká Fatra. The cyclist route crosses it and owners of several private houses offer accommodation. The interesting folk event called “Sunday in Vlkolínec” is organised every summer at the beginning of August.

WARNING! From 1 May 2024, a single entrance fee applies to all expositions in the UNESCO location: Traditional house + backyard, Folk house + hut, Gallery – school, UNESCO house, granary. Prominent architecturally preserved buildings include the wooden bell tower, roofed well and the church. The price also includes parking in the parking areas below the settlement.

Museum of Liptov Village is the most attractive landmark of the Liptov region. It displays the typical folk architecture. The impetus behind the establishing of the museum was the extensive flooding caused by the construction of the Liptovská Mara dam.

The most important cultural monuments were moved from eleven flooded communities. They now constitute the main exhibits of the museum. Entire original buildings were dismantled and moved to the museum, which was opened to public in 1991. It is the most recently opened out-door museum of Slovakia.
Precious samples of sacral and secular folk architecture are the Gothic-Renaissance manor house of Parížovce and an Early-Gothic church of the Virgin Mary from Liptovská Mara. The manor house is a fine example of some of the oldest landowners’ architecture of the Liptov region and various architectural details including the Late-Gothic wall paintings will certainly attract the attention of the tourist. The church itself is much older, its foundations were constructed in the Romanesque style and laid down probably in the 12th century. It was rebuilt in the second half of the 13th century, later expanded, and in the 17th century the tower was added to it. The village school comprising also the teacher’s apartment of Valaská Dubová and exhibition of old beehives in the orchard next to the local school will also intrigue the visitor.
Within the museum complex there is a training centre for folk crafts offering samples of folk craft and arts (weaving, bobbin-lacing, wood, metal and leather-working, the manufacturing of wicker or straw baskets, etc)., as well as the typical folk costumes.

Regular events organised in the museum are the Sunday of Shepherd-Ovenálie held last Sunday of May, Sunday of Children held in June, the Sunday of Compatriots in July, the Sunday of Bee-Keepers in August, the Day of St. Hubert in September, and Harvest Thanksgiving in October, as well as Liptov Christmas in December.

The museum also has a zoo that concentrates on farm animals and poultry including horse breeding where horse riding is possible.

read more hide

Exposition of shepherding – Wandering around Liptov, you may run into several shepherd´s houses. Those are the places where you can listen to the sound of bells of sheep, and experience the nice smell and flavours of the products of their milk. In a specialized and a unique exposition about the traditional culture of the region, you can have a look into shepherds’ lives. You will get to know their working tools, clothes, jewellery, belts and the unique shepherd´s woodcarving art.

Please note that this exhibition is only in the Slovak language. Translate the text on information boards using the text translator from photos. Download the Google translate Android or iOS app, click on Camera button and take a picture of the info board.

In premises of the national cultural monument Čierny orol (Black Eagle) you can nowadays find the exhibition hall of Museum of Liptov and permanent exposition Dejiny poľovníctva a rybárstva v Liptove (History of hunting and fishing in Liptov).

In the time flow from the Middle Ages up to present it provides us the basic information about fauna of the region, fish and game species, you can find here many interesting zoological, historical and ethnographical exhibits. The exposition contains the hunting-fishing saloon for higher social classes and imitation of kitchen of the same type, too.

Historic buildings Vážnica Klopačka demonstrate a tradition Hornoliptovská mining and metallurgy, which are kept in an active form until the second half of the 19th century. The premises Klopačka is selected gallery of reproductions of old mining works woodcuts from George Agricola “De re metallica libri XII” that illustrate the development of mining the 16th century technological elements and extraction procedures typical for the Liptov region. In prisons is an exposition of the history of mining and metallurgy in Liptove clothing by miners collection of mining lamps and working tools. In the form of two-dimensional panels with a text part and an extensive visual material presents the history of mining and metal processing in Bocianska and Lupcianska valley and Magurke, in Liptovský Hrádok, Krivan, Western Tatras and the Black Vah, in the central part of the Low Tatras and space Dúbravy and Liptovské Kľačany, as well as the history dolnoliptovského mining and metallurgy in Revúcka valley on the outskirts of White Creek Liptovskej floodplain Korytnice valley and insightful. Part of the journey Mining – cognitive and experiential product portfolio of the Liptov Museum. National Historic Landmark.

Likavský hrad (Likava castle) is situated in the north-western part of Liptov. The Castle was referred to for the first time in 1315. Its construction started with the intention to have a guarding point over the passage across the river Váh and the trade route from the Váh Basin to Orava and further to Poland.

The Castle owners, the noble family of Hunyady, gradually reconstructed and widened the core of the Castle and built the part called the lower Castle in the second half of the 15th century. In the second half of the 17th century, the Thökölys’ eventually finished the entire fortification system though it was of no use as it did not prevent the disaster at the beginning of the 18th century when the retreating troops of František Rákoczi completely pulled down the Castle in 1707.

The Castle gradually decayed in ruins. After a thorough reconstruction in recent year the tower Hunyadyho veža was opened to public. It contains the exhibition of the Castle history.

Access: driving to the village Likavka, then on foot from the bus stop Likavka-hrad following the red hiking mark (it takes about 30 min).

Liptov planner