The oldest Calvary in Liptov was completed in 1850. It consists of the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross and 14 chapels of the Way of the Cross.
It is located about 1 km away from the town centre, close to the Andrej Hlinka square and the town’s cemetery. The Calvary is a popular walking location offering nice views of the town and the surrounding mountains such as Veľký Choč, Predný Choč, Čebrať, Mních, the Western Tatras and Kriváň.
The 14 chapels represent the Stations of the Cross and feature wooden carvings depicting the scenes from the sentencing, torturing and crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
At the top of the Calvary stands the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Its consecration was attended by more than 5000 people. The church´s construction cost 1833 gold coins, of which 1056 gold coins were funded by the town and the rest of the money was contributed by the members of the church community. The church is about 16 m long and 8 m wide and has a lovely turret. The church interior features relief sculptures created by F. Gibala and wall paintings made by M. Klimčák. The three metal crosses standing in front of the church have replaced the original wooden ones. The church hosts a mass on the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in September.
The Calvary and the church are also the pilgrimage site and form an important part of the spiritual history of Ružomberok.