The oldest written record of an already existing village dates to 1278. In that year, King Ladislav IV donated to Ján Galicus, the owner of Vlachy and Wallooian native, the territorial property located between Ľubela and Vlachy, until then belonging to Ľubel.
Until this year, the territory of Ľubela was the exclusive property of the Hungarian king. The king retained some of his estate in the 14th and 15th centuries. They belonged to the castle estate of Liptov Castle. After the demise of Liptov Castle in 1474, the royal part of Ľubele was annexed to the property of Likava Castle. During this period, the name Kráľovská (Kyral Lubele) was used for the mentioned part of the village. At the beginning of the 16th century, there were 6 farmsteads in Kráľová Ľubela, one estate of the mayor and two farms of freelancers (libertines). Since the Middle Ages, the areas of Kľačany, Dúbrava and Ľubela have been the subject of interest of rich miners, especially from the surroundings of Banská Bystrica and Banská Štiavnica. During this period, gold was mined in the Kľačianka valley. From the end of the 16th century, the part of Ľubela owned by the peasants was called Zemianska Ľubeľa (Lwbele Nymes, Nyemes Lwbele).
The events in Liptov (famine, cholera) at the end of the 16th century and the beginning of the 17th century caused a decrease in the population in this area. In 1831, an unprecedented cholera epidemic affected the whole of Liptov and other areas of Hungary. Even before the outbreak of the epidemic in Liptov, a landscape ordinance was issued on July 15, 1831, to prevent the spread of cholera. Cholera first appeared in Liptov on July 25, 1831 and lasted until January 15, 1832. At that time, 81 people died in Ľubela. From the middle of the 19th century, there was a Roman Catholic school in Ľubela. The names of the teachers at this time are not known. In 1900, they built a new wooden building of a one-class school. The first teacher was the local farmer Adam Bubniak Dipko. Later, the school was three-class and was headed by the administrator-teacher Ambróz Lukáč. The Roman Catholic school in Ľubela existed until 1945, when it was transformed into the National School. After the establishment of the Czechoslovak Republic in 1918, revolutionary changes followed in Ľubela. In 1923, they organized and performed the first amateur theatre performance in the village. In 1924, the two municipalities merged into one political municipality called Ľubeľa. In 1932, a voluntary fire brigade was established in Ľubela. Even before the outbreak of the Slovak National Uprising, a four-men group of resistance fighters led by Petr Kubík went to the guerilla camp under Prašivá on August 9, 1944, and later became members of Captain Ján Nálepka’s Brigade and M. R. Štefánik’s 1st Czechoslovak Brigade. After the retreat of guerillas and military units to the mountains, the inhabitants of the village were in close contact with the Kirov guerilla unit and the Fourth Guerilla Brigade.
Since January 1945, 74 evacuees from eastern Slovakia have been stationed in Ľubela. After the guerilla fighters attacked a German patrol in the village in March 1945 and shot dead two German soldiers, repression ensued. On March 24, 1945, the SS unit surrounded the village. At first they shot and then occupied the village. German soldiers shot dead 4 people, set fire to 6 houses and 19 farm buildings. They eventually lead away 31 inhabitants to concentration camps. The village was liberated on April 4, 1945 by the Soviet army and the 1st Czechoslovak Army.
At present, the village has 1140 inhabitants and is connected to the Liptov cycle route. The village is located in the heart of the Liptov region, so it is close to everywhere! The most popular and largest year-round water parks in Slovakia – Water park Bešeňová (only 8 km), AQUAPARK TATRALANDIA (16 km), AQUA-VITAL PARK Spa Lúčky (15 km), mountain and ski resorts JASNÁ (20 km) and Ružomberok – Malinô Brdo (22 km) and many other sports, historical and cultural attractions of the region are within easy reach!