Home Kostol sv. Mikuláša

Kostol sv. Mikuláša

Roman Catholic Church. Nicholas is the oldest architectural monument in the city and the largest early Gothic building in the Liptov. It was built as a parish church for the inhabitants of nearby villages Vrbica, Okoličné, Ploštín, Palúdzka and Bobrovec. Finally alone he has created new settlement Liptov – Saint Nicholas. As confirmed by archaeological research professor Adalbert Krick-Buda, early Gothic cathedral grew up on the site of an older Romanesque church and terraced cemetery. Later, he has held various reconstructions. In the mid-15th century it was extended and vaulted, the tower was nadstavená and modified in the late Gothic style. In the same period the church with the nearby fortified Pongrác Curia landlords. In the second half of the 16th century, almost the entire 17th century church belonged to Protestants, in the period 1632-1637 in it preached Czech exile Juraj Tranovský, the author of the Lutheran hymnal Cithara sanctorum. The 18th century brought with it the reconstruction of church in baroque style. The most extensive reconstruction of the church has undergone in the years 1940 – 1943. The project was realized by Michael M. and J. Harminc Záchenský and early Gothic church restored to the form. Were built out side chapels, stained glass windows created by them in artistic designs Mikulašska compatriots Janko Alexy, Fera King and John Želibský. Within the reconstruction it was removed and the original fortification wall with two shops – kramárnicami. Inside the church are preserved three Gothic panel altars. The main altar of St. Nicholas with a central statue of St. Nicholas presents scenes from the life of Bishop Nicholas – a meeting with the three daughters of the poor squire, rescuing three young men from execution driven in a storm. Altar case was created in the early 20th century, but the altar wings arose at the beginning of the 16th century. In the original state she has been preserved altar of the Virgin Mary located in the northern aisle. It was built sometime between 1470 – 1480, authorship is attributed to the Master of Spišské Podhradie. Its main motive is a sculpture of the Madonna and child. The movable wing altar displays stages of life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ – Annunciation, Visitation, Nativity and Adoration of the Magi. In the southern side nave is an altar dedicated to the Blessed Sacrament (circa 1520) – Altar of Corpus Christi. Outstanding is the embodiment of sporadic themes when central motif is not figural representation, but plastic representation monstrance – box with the Blessed Sacrament. Altar wings show the saints and scenes around the crucifixion of Christ. Inside the church there is a stone baptismal font from 1490 with Baroque wrought copper age to the 17th century.

Look for treasure boxes at the following GPS: N49.083056° E19.612661°
Attention! GPS position data do not locate exact position of treasure boxes.
You’ll find a treasure box in the parking place at the entrance to the valley.

Gallery

Please describe your experience

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Nearby Events:

All events

Liptov planner