Expositions and exhibitions of fine arts
The Ľudovít Fulla Gallery was built for the deposit and presentation of works of art donated to the Slovak National Gallery by Ľudovít Fulla (1902 – 1980). He was one of the most distinguished Slovak artists, significantly following the modern European currents of art. The multi-talented artist, painter, graphic artist, illustrator, creator of monumental and decorative works, stage designs and pedagogue, spent the last years of his life here. The project was developed by architect Hatala according to the ideological design of M. Kusý (1964 – 65).
The gallery opened in 1969. Visitors can view a permanent exhibition of paintings, graphics, drawings, illustrations, tapestries and applied art. The master’s studio and study are also open. Slovak National Gallery (SNG) organizes temporary exhibitions and also an annual shows of works of laureates of Ľ. Fulla price. The gallery offers its visitors cultural programs about the life and work of this important figure of Slovak moderna. As well as classical music concerts and cultural programs for the general public. The gallery provides lectures, sale of catalogues, posters and postcards.
After a group exhibition of Ľudovít Fulla`s work in Bratislava (2002), SNG presents a new permanent exhibition of the artist’s life and work in the Ľudovít Fulla’s Gallery in Ružomberok. It is based on works that Fulla donated to the state and which became the basis of his gallery.
Who was Ľudovít Fulla
Ľudovít Fulla (1902–1980) uniquely combined the impulses of European avant-garde painting with inspirations from Slovak folk art, iconographic painting, and children’s artistic expression. The result was an original and authentic artistic language, which was characterized by a synthesis of rational, constructive construction of the shape with intense, emotional colour. He studied at the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague (1922–1927, Prof. Hofbauer, Kysela). After 1927 he worked as a pedagogue in Slovakia, in 1929–1939 as a professor at the School of Arts and Crafts in Bratislava, a progressive and ideas close to the German Bauhaus. This period also includes his fruitful collaboration with Mikuláš Galand on the first and only manifesto of Slovak modern painting Private Letters. In 1937, he won the Grand Prix at the World’s Fair in Paris for his painting Song and Work. In the years 1949–1952 he was the head of the department of monumental-decorative painting at the newly established Academy of Fine Arts in Bratislava, from where he had to leave for political reasons. In the years 1956–1962 he lived in Žilina, where he set up a personal gallery. From 1962 he lived and worked in Ružomberok. In 1966 and 1977, he donated a large part of his work to the state in return for the construction of the Ľudovít Fulla Gallery in Ružomberok (opened to the public in 1969). He devoted himself to painting, graphics, drawing, scenography and book illustration.
In addition to the exhibition, the master’s studio and study are also open.